I have a slight obsession with brussel sprouts. Actually, since I began this cooking thing, I realized how much I love roasted veggies! I mean, I truly LOVE them and have no problem eating 2-3 portions. Who knew veggies could be SO tasty? These sprouts are right up there at the top of the list — and so, SO easy.
I’m beginning to understand the obsession people have with EVOO (thanks Rachel Ray!) and sea salt. Sometimes all you need is EVOO, sea salt and a random ingredient — and you are set with an amazing dish. I add a special ingredient to these that you probably wouldn’t think of. Can you guess what it is from looking at the photo?
This is the PERFECT side dish for nearly any meal but you MUST make you sure you let them bake long enough to the get the crispy, nearly burned edges so the nutty, carmelized flavor comes out like woa.
Details on my special ingredient & more below!
Amazing Brussel Sprouts!
— 10-15 brussel sprouts (pick the smaller ones, they are sweeter)
— Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
— Garlic Salt
— Sea Salt & cracked pepper
— Special ingredient: Paprika!
— Grated parmesan cheese
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Wash sprouts & peel of top layers (get the dirt out!)
2. Grab your cutting board, chop off the stems & cut each one in half.
3. Boil a half a pot of water and add sprouts once it’s at a rolling boil
4. Let them boil for 3 minutes.
5. Add a teaspoon of EVOO to a plastic bag & dump half the hot sprouts in the bag to coat with EOVV. You have the seal the bag and yes, they are very hot so work quickly!
6. Add thoroughly coated sprouts to a rimmed pan.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt so that all pieces get some love.
8. Sprinkle Paprika over the sprouts…as much or little as you want. I really loved the taste of it after baked so next time I will add more!
9. Sprinkle parmesan cheese. Again, as much or little cheese as you prefer. Now you are ready to bake!
10. Bake for 12-20 minutes. It’s important to keep an eye on your sprouts. They can go from barely done to well done very quickly. I’m always in a hurry so I put my oven on high and check it frequently. I leave my sprouts in until they are on the edge of burnt because I LOVE the crispy, butty flavor. Mmm!
11. When they are done, add a touch of sea salt, another sprinkle of parm and…oh, enjoy!