I finally bought a cookbook! I’m always a bit skeptical of how things will turn out but this experiment was amazing! I love anything sweet and I love lime so combining the two was a perfect idea. Plus, who doesn’t love a colorful meal with a variety of companion flavors?
I wanted to make something super-healthy because Sunday morning was a big 12-mile training run and you gotta be prepared for those babies. I also bought ingredients for a Green Monster! (But more on that later!)
I totally recommend this meal for a quick and delicious dinner. The great thing is that the salad part of the meal is the side dish. So often, I’m discourage because cookbooks offer a main dish but ideas for sides — a whole other process for the meal.
Lime & Honey Glazed Salmon with Warm Black Bean & Corn Salad:
— 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided use)
— 1 medium red onion, chopped
— 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
— 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
— 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
— Salt and freshly ground black pepper
— Juice of 2 limes
— 3 tablespoons honey (3 gobs)
— 1 teaspoon chili powder (1/3 palmful)
— 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
— 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
— 1 (10-ounce) box frozen corn kernels, defrosted
— 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
— 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
— 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
— 6 cups baby spinach
1. Preheat a medium skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil (twice around the pan). Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
2. While the onions are cooking, preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. In a shallow dish, combine the juice of 1 lime, honey, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the salmon fillets to the lime-honey mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Add the seasoned salmon to the hot skillet and cook until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
4. To the cooked onions, add the bell pepper and corn kernels and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken stock and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Add the black beans and cook until the beans are just heated through.
7. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the juice of the second lime, the cilantro and the spinach. Toss to wilt the spinach and then taste and adjust the seasoning.
8. Serve the lime-and-honey-glazed salmon on top of the warm black bean and corn salad.
*Rick made chocolate cupcakes for dessert! I actually sliced the tops off two of them, warmed them up in the microwave, added 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and a little Hersey’s syrup. It was SOOO good!