Oh early Sunday! I woke up this morning around 5:30 a.m. anxious that my 6 a.m. alarm wouldn’t be early enough to get me out the door and to the race in time. The Capitol Hill Classic started at 7:30 but I had to find parking, get my race packet, run to the office and get a snack — and I hate being late or even cutting it close so 5:30 it was! Luckily, I went to bed around 10 last night and had a great night of sleep — barely even needed my coffee for once.

The team:

I met up with the Heritage team at 7. Our building is just 2 blocks from where the race was so it made sense. I believe there were about 8 or 9 of us running this 10k and I was meeting a few people for the first time since I’m so new to work. The weather was really perfect for running — overcast and damp but not cold. I totally loved it to be be honest.

Me, pre-race:

I didn’t want to put too much pressure on myself but I wanted to go fast. As the race began, I really pushed it, hoping to hold my quick pace for the whole race. It was one of the hardest races I’ve done because I was pushing myself the entire time — loud breathing and all. At the end of the race, there is a massive hill going up in between the Capitol and the House office buildlings — a hill I have run many times. But at the end of a 6 mile race that I’ve been pushing hard for, it was not easy. I managed to make it without a stop and pick up the pace for most of the end. When the finish line came into view, I booked it. Of course, the finish line is the best part and kicking it into finish line gear sort of feels like flying. There is this inner strength that takes over and bounds me to the line. Once crossed safely over, my heart felt like it would beat out of my chest and slight nausea took over but I felt good about my time.

I believe I came in about 51 minutes and 30 seconds, which is an 8:27 mile — faster than I’ve ever done in a race. Last year, I came in at 59 minutes 30 seconds so I’m pretty happy with the improvement. After the race I chatted with my teammates and headed back to the office. Unfortunately, I accidentally locked my purse in my office with the key in it so I only had my car key to drive home. So, my phones, wallet, keys, etc. are still there and will be until tomorrow morning when maintenance can open the door for me.

Everyone done!

After the race, I had plenty of time to get home and head to church at 10am. I live literally 2 minutes from church, which is held at the movie theater. National Community Church (NCC) is the best!

The best part:

FREE: Simple Faith Practices for Busy MomsYes, please!