Happy Monday! Do I sound a little too excited for Monday morning? I’ve just realized that life has been pretty darn cool lately and…if you are in a January winter dump slump — you might want to consider saving this list for your upcoming week/weekend.
When the cold winter blues hit, I find the best thing to do is be pro-active and find something to do out of your routine. Here are a few ideas I’ve taken up over the past few weeks.
1. Get a little uncomfortable. It’s not everyday you’ll see me wearing a gigantic, sparkly headdress but it was just the thing to break out of a slump. Just before this photo, we were playing homemade instruments and singing. It’s a long story but sufficient to say — at first I was uncomfortable, and then I was laughing and having a blast. It wasn’t something I would normally do but it certainly got me out of my rut!
2. Get to the Spa, Girl. I know — massages are a luxury. But, if you save a little bit from each paycheck, you can get yourself one of those things and they are worth it. Massages have always been a worthy splurge for me — and they always make me feel refreshed and revitalized. They are a mental and physical plus and will certainly perk up your mood. This is from last week at Sugar House Day Spa.
3. Order out of the box. When I go out to breakfast, I normally order a veggie omelet or something of the healthy kind. When I went to a new place for brunch this weekend, one of the specials — Huevos Rancheros (at Overwood) — really stuck out to me. Part of me want to go more “healthy” but something said, “just go for it.” I’m sure glad I did because it was amazing. Sometimes you just need to change one little thing. In this case, get the special!
4. Do Something New. There are certain activities that seem cheesy — like dance lessons, school plays or…pottery painting. But this weekend, we were kind of bored and decided we didn’t care that all the customers in the store were under the age of 10. We went in to paint for the first time at Paint This! and it was a blast. It’s amazing how getting out of your normal routine sparks your creative side — and new conversation.
5. Wear Your Crazy Socks. Or…your crazy hair tie, the bright pink scarf you’ve been holding off on — or the quirky hat you want to wear but are afraid doesn’t look right. We all have a piece of clothing that sits there pining for attention but doesn’t get any love. I felt kind of like a tool when I wore these socks to the gym but I’ve had them for 2 years and never worn them! I was over seeing them in the drawer, put them on and had a little more fun working out 😉
6. Throw Something In Your Coffee. For me, that was a little something called a “Celtic Coffee.” Now, liquor might not be your thing (this was on a Saturday, btw, not a work day!) but it’s nice to switch it up. Try a flavor you’ve never tried before or something totally out of your comfort zone and see what you think. All it takes is one little switch.
7. Sign Up For Something. So many times, the reason we are stuck in a rut is because we aren’t working towards anything. When I was having trouble being patient waiting for something last year, I knew I had to get my mind off of it. I did that by finally signing up for something I’d talked about forever — NASM certified personal training. There are a million classes you can choose from, whether that’s an online course, an in-person dance class, a writers’ meet up, bible study or even teaching yourself something new through all the free resources online. Bottom line? Find something you want to learn or accomplish and start the path there today.
8. Get Out of Town. No matter where you live, there is always somewhere else nearby. Even if just for a day, go explore somewhere else. Back in November, my friend Maggie (who lives far away!) met up for a retreat. It got us out of our everyday lives, in a new environment and gave us a little refreshment. You need to get out your existing space to find perspective. If you have a family, even just a few hours in a new location can make a difference. How can you make it happen?
9. Be With People. Sometimes, we get stuck in our little worlds, doing our daily routines and not really thinking much about others. Put yourself in the presence of a new group and genuinely inquire about their lives. You’ll soon discover the joys and disappointments others experience. This will do two things — one, make you realize you aren’t alone AND make you realize your problems may not be as bad as you thought. Either way, it’s PEOPLE who make life better. So find some to love on.
It can be reallllly tough to motivate yourself to do some of these things. It seems easier to stay stuck in your routines but trust me when I say it’s WORTH it to get out your comfort zone. It makes your life more fulfilling and gives your so much perspective. Make a point to choose something from this list and implement it this week, especially if you are feeling the January blues.
What are you going to do to get out of your winter rut this weekend? Something from this list — another idea? I’d love to hear more!