I’m a huge fan of stuffed peppers so when I had the idea to make these, I got kind of excited — especially because it was my OWN idea. My own idea as in, no recipe to follow! My recipe!
Yeah, I’m sure these have been made in the history of man but let’s just pretend it’s the first in my hypothetical cook book, mmmk?
And I’m so proud because they are HEALTHY! Who knew low-fat cheese tastes the same as regular? And, like a good, healthy eater, I finally tried quinoa! You can stuff so much into a pepper 🙂
What else is awesome? They are superfast! Peppers have all kinds of anti-oxidents and you can the whole darn thing with minimal calories. It’s so great not to feel overly full and know that I was putting good things into my body for dinner.
Bell peppers are so versatile, too. You can put them in salads, stir frys, random casseroles, dip them in hummus or stuff them with goodness like this. Yep, I know, you are ready for the recipe! Thanks to all who asked for it when I posted a pic on Twitter the other night. Hope you are hear reading now!
- 4 Bell peppers (yellow, red, green, orange)
- 1 box of seasoned quinoa with brown rice (you can do one or the other as well)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup baby shrimp, cooked (in a little olive oil)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced, canned tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 3/4 cup low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream
*preheat oven to 350.
1. Cut the tops off the peppers and wash out any seeds or extra skin in the middle.
2. Cook quinoa according to the box directions.
3. Cook shrimp in olive oil, adding onion and garlic to sautee as it cooks (10 minutes)
4. Warm up black beans in a microwave safe bowl.
5. Combine the tomatoes and jalapenos in a small bowl.
6. Layer each pepper with quinoa, then shrimp, then beans, then tomato mixture, then cheese. Do thin layers so you can repeat this process twice in each pepper.
7. Put peppers on a pan with foil and put into oven for 15 minutes or until cheese on top is golden brown (keep an eye on it).
8. Remove from oven and add a side of sour cream, salsa and the remainder of the tomato mixture.