I told you guys I was going to start cooking again. Can you believe this — two food posts in a week? I know, crazy. But since back issues have my running basically sidelined, I just don’t know what to do with myself!
Actually, it has been really hard. When I can’t run, I feel a little trapped. I wonder daily when this will go away and have anxiety about marathon training that won’t even begin for three months. Not because I dread it — but because I don’t want anything to go wrong.
Chill. Out. Okay.
This is Pinterest dish #2 for the week. I pin and I pin but what’s a pin worth if it just sits on your little old board all day? So I decided to bring some things to life. Thankfully, my co-workers finished off the Key Lime cupcakes so I ddn’t “have” to.
If you haven’t noticed from previous meals, I’m obsessed with parmesan cheese (and, just, cheese generally speaking) and this dish has cream cheese, cheese tortellini & parmesan cheese. But fear not — it doesn’t have to be a recipe for disaster on your stomach!
If you are worried, cut the cream cheese ingredient in half (had way too much & I used lite cream cheese) and you can substitute cheese tortelini for another kind of no-cheese pasta. Personally, I think the cheese tortellini shells are worth it because they were awesome! I probably wouldn’t eat this if you’re on a diet or following the Medifast Plan but it isn’t a bad option for a healthier pasta dish.
Tortellini and Garden Vegetable Bake
- 10 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini (2-1/2 cups) or two 9-ounce packages refrigerated tortellini
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese or light cream cheese (Neufchatel), cubed and softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red or green sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook tortellini in boiling salted water according to package directions, adding the carrot during the last 5 minutes of cooking and the sugar snap peas during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.2. Meanwhile, heat margarine or butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add chicken and mushrooms, and cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet.3. Shake together chicken broth, oregano, flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a screw-top jar until smooth. Add to skillet along with milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; add cream cheese. Cook and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Add pasta mixture, chicken mixture, tomatoes, and sweet pepper. Toss to coat. Turn into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or shallow 3-quart casserole.4. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Stir mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. Makes 12 main-dish servings.From the Test Kitchen
- Make Ahead Tip Prepare as directed but don’t bake it. Instead, cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven about 55 minutes or until hot.